I sat on the black dented hood the of my car, waiting for my best friend to climb out of the drivers seat. "Just like the old days, huh Jess?" I said as I looked up at the stars, smelling the liquor emitting from my breath. "Jodie, we are going to get caught!" "Oh calm down, you always have worried too much...just relax for once." I mumbled patting the hood for her to come sit down on.

When we were in high school, parking at the "station" was the coolest thing in the world. You could gossip, drink, smoke cigarettes, smoke weed, make out with boys, and it was right by the highway, so the risk of getting caught was extremely likely, but we didn't care. It was fun.

Here we were, 24 years old and parked in the same spot. Both a little buzzed from too much wine, we sat down and reminisced, passing a cigarette back and forth. Jessica told me the story of a crazy witch lady that apparently tried to kill her when we were young. The story consisted of black snakes, a murder trial, and I just listened as she recalled everything she could remember, her eyes nervously darting around for cops, like any were around in this one horse town. I have known my best friend since we were two, and I cannot remember this lady she talks about for the life of me. She kept saying "I can't believe you don't remember this, I know you had met her..." as her voice slightly shook. I sighed and just shook my head, realizing we were grown up, yet I didn't really know everything about my best friend like I should...but here we were, laying under the stars, gossiping, and I realized some things would never change between us.

Comments

Popular Posts